Monday 13 May 2019

Such stuff as dreams are made on

This morning, in a very lovely way, the Vice Chancellor, Sir Anthony Seldon and whole University staff thanked Julie and I for our efforts to forge better 'town and gown' relations over the last two years. Julie was given a beautiful bouquet of flowers and I a delightful framed memento of my time as Mayor seeking to build good relations.

It has been an honour and joy to work closely with the University. Education dominates our town with large numbers of people, young and old, spending their days being taught or teaching others. I reminded the staff of the University that my philosophy boils down to a very simple vision: I want to live in a world where everyone has dreams and ambitions, and the wherewithal to achieve those. I explained to them that they were stuff that dreams are made of, because they spend their time being part of that wherewithal: helping students realise their learning goals, acquiring new skills and insights. And with all these, achieving their ambitions.

Today was (I think) our last official engagement as Town Mayor & Mayoress. It was a fitting place to be, to do so.

Thanks to Nigel Adams for this pic.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Treasured Mayoral Days!