Saturday 26 August 2017

My Jo Cox journey #3

Yesterday morning, I had the enormous pleasure of donating my next Jo Cox book to the Mayor of Reading and the Reading Central Library. (You can read why I am doing this on the previous blog.)

Mayor Cllr Rose Williams was lovely and most welcoming. We exchanged stories of how Reading had changed since the time I left the town (1985). As readers will know, I went to the University there. Subsequently I had two jobs in the town: working for the Department of Employment, the Borough Council and the County Council as was. I used the library often.

Matt Rodda, the new Labour MP for Reading East, and a fellow ward councillor of Rose's still, was there too. It was with Matt that I originally made the contact as we know each other through "Labour Coast and Country". It was great to see him. Here we all are as I hand the book over to Rose.


and more informally:


The Mayor also gave me a copy of the "Reading Book of Days" which is a delightful book researched by the History of Reading Society with an 'on this day' story from the past about Reading, for each day of the year. Thank you! (Is that an idea for Buckingham...?)


And great thanks to Liz Grugeon from Matt's office and Kate Andrews who all helped to make this happen.

Here is the bookplate that will be placed in the book when it is added to the shelves of the Library.


Matt tweeted soon after we left the Library


And here is an official pic from Rachel Dennis, the Reading Council press officer who was also there. Thanks Rachel.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Treasured Mayoral Days!