Tuesday 30 October 2018

Do you protect the pumpkins?

Buckingham Primary School invited me to spend time with the pupils in their Foundation, 1 and 2 years. It was so much fun! I was intrigued by the questions that the youngest group had put together. Indeed I think they asked the best questions both off the cuff as well as prepared. Years 1 and 2 had some brilliant ideas about what they would like to see in the town to make it even better for them. And I was delighted to learn about how much of the town they already knew and enjoyed. I hope that amongst these bright and sparkling students are the councillors and mayors of the future!

I spent about 50 minutes with years 1 and 2 - and about 30 minutes with the Foundation classes. I asked them what they liked about Buckingham and what they would like to see happen to make the town event better. They had some lovely ideas from having a beach, to a shop that would provide chocolate dinosaurs, and some even wanted a real dinosaur or dragon in the town. There was lots of interest in having a slide in the swimming pool and a splash park somewhere. The children loved the events in the town especially the fair. They also like the Christmas parade and the lights switch on.

The questions ranged from how old I was, to what does a Mayor do, through to how I became Mayor. But I think the best question was the one I put at the top of this blog! When I asked them what they thought the Mayor did, many of the answers centred on keeping the town safe and happy. (I wish I could do that more...!)

Anyway, this was a wonderful morning and thanks to all the children, teachers and assistants and especially to Kelly Brookes who set this up. (There will be some more pics to come once Kelly as passed them as OK - but meanwhile please feast you eyes on these words and drawings from the children in answer to my questions!)


This is a new beach with palm trees


This is the library - one of the things this group liked

No comments:

Post a Comment

Treasured Mayoral Days!