Monday 12 November 2018

Surrounded by ghosts

The street performance about local soldiers who died in the First World War on Saturday morning was most moving. I was almost overwhelmed with sadness, thinking about all these ordinary young men who died. Indeed, this whole remembrance weekend (I have attended seven events to mark the Armistice) has left me spinning with a swirl of emotions. The Silent Soldiers performance was so well deployed. Thank you to all the actors, the organisers and indeed the singers at the closing of the event. Tremendous. Perhaps something like this might be repeated for the 75th anniversary of the D-Day landings next year...?

What emotions has this weekend left you with? I am left reflecting on a quote I came across recently: the biggest lesson of history is that people don't learn the biggest lessons of history...   (Sorry - don't know who said this at the moment)






No comments:

Post a Comment

Treasured Mayoral Days!