Monday 1 April 2019

Building UK / USA relations

Julie and I spent Friday night on the base of RAF Croughton, among other dignitaries from nearby towns (which stretched as far afield as Newbury!) and districts. It was the USAF's annual reception where they celebrate their links with the localities in which they operate. I spent a good chunk of my time encouraging the servicemen and servicewomen I spoke with to come and visit Buckingham.

There were lots of interesting people to get to know including representatives of the US Army as well as their Airforce. I learnt why the army has different colour trousers to the their tunics. It dates back to when they were (in the words of the officer I spoke with) 'fighting with the American Indians'. Pics below are the all the 'Voluntary Commanders' who work with the base's officer team to help them build relationships with British services, councils and business. One of the Commanders appointed was the 'Director of Beer' for Arkell's Brewery (Swindon) for example!

The invites are shown too which explains the purpose of the event.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Treasured Mayoral Days!