Thursday 22 March 2018

Ambition in amazing abundance

Some readers will recall that I set the theme of my Mayoral year as being all about ambition. Over the course of the last few months I have been looking for every opportunity to praise, support and celebrate ambition in everyone I meet. Last week I had this in bucketfuls as I sat in on all the graduation ceremonies of the University of Buckingham. Julie and I were simply entranced and delighted to see and applaud every single graduand become a graduate as they shook hands with the Vice Chancellor.

Being there, gave me the opportunity to get to know the University staff and students even more and continue the building the relationship between 'town and gown'. We are already cooking up some ideas around civic engagement: watch this space!

One thing to note is that some of the shoes worn by the graduates were amazing! Many of students sought to highlight their style and individuality (underneath the same academic gown & mortar board being worn by all) with some shoes ranging from DM boots to a pair of shoes that looked like a small discotheque!

It was a big commitment of my time but I know from feedback from the VC and his colleagues that the 'gown' very much appreciated the presence of the 'town' at these ceremonies - to celebrate ambition and aspiration.

One final note: please don't presume that all the graduates are young people in their twenties. Many - and I mean many - of the graduates were a good deal older. Our University is very much a place for lifelong learning. So... if you were thinking of studying for a degree whether you are in your 30's, 40's, 50's, 60's, 70's or even 80's... do have a look at the opportunities available to you on your doorstep!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Treasured Mayoral Days!