Saturday 16 February 2019

NALC Spring Conference

Last Monday, on behalf of the Town Council, I attended the National Association of Local Councils (NALC) Spring Conference. A room full of around 140 parish/town councillors and clerks spent a day listening to good practice, update on recent reviews of councillor standards and other items. The agenda is below. It was a very stimulating and thought provoking day. I thought I would blog some of my main reflections arising from the day as something of a report back to my fellow town councillors and TC staff, as well as the wider community of the Town.




1) Jane Ramsey, the independent member of the Committee on Standards in Public Life reported that they had just finished their review of Councillor Standards. (Available here) This had taken a year to research and review the evidence of how the behaviour of councillors affects the good workings of councils up and down the country. The main recommendations can be viewed in the document linked above. I will be proposing that the Town Council watches developments closely and responds when we need to, for example, when a new standard code of conduct is issued. On questioning by me and others, Ms Ramsey revealed that some of their recommendations will require primary legislation, the committee does think that mandatory training will be part of the way ahead, a more nuanced approach to conflicts of interest will need to be created and the full implications of the Ledbury case does need to be fully explored in what happens next. (The Cllr Harvey mentioned in the case is no relation by the way!)

2) Tracey Crouch gave an impassioned speech about her new role as the Minister for Loneliness. She explained the beginnings of a strategy that the government are forming to tackle this matter which Whitehall reckons affects around 9m people in the UK. (Pro rata that is about 2000 people in Buckingham...) She explained some interesting ideas around 'designing our loneliness' in new build estates. And she mentioned in her constituency she has organised a 'Freshers Fair for Older People'. I liked that idea and it is one I plan to pursue, although I think I would rather consider the idea of a 'Freshers Fair' for all the new residents of the town. What do you think?

3) Lizzie Peers talked about developments in the field of Auditing local councils - parish/town/community councils. This was for me, not the most stimulating of topics, dare I say, especially when I learnt that auditing has little to do with outcomes (doing the right things) and mostly only focused on doing things right...(according to proper legal practice). Both are important of course, but I always start with the outcomes and work forwards from there. (I am open to a discussion on this of course). But apparently 62 councils which should have responded to the new audit regime, never did, last year. But when asked what the sanctions are for not responding... Lizzie informed us that there are none...

4) I then spent a fascinating time learning about the youth engagement strategy of Yate Town Council. I could write at length about their approach but what struck me was their robust commitment to going into the world of young people rather than expecting young people to come into the (fusty) world of town councils. Their approach to asking questions and engaging in joint problem solving of the issues affecting young people in their town was most impressive. When I stop being Mayor, my plan is to focus quite a lot on what more the Town Council should be doing to reach out to the younger people of the town. Watch this space!

5) Lastly I spent time learning about the work of Frome Town Council which has a focus on tackling issues rather than seeing itself as a body just existing to provide services. A programme management / commissioning model if you like. I appreciated their focus on outcomes and making a difference to the lives of people in the town. I think BTC does a good amount of this but we could do more, in my view. It was great to learn for example about the work they are doing on Fair Housing in Frome with a focus on improving conditions in the privately rented sector and looking for every which way to have more housing which is affordable, decent, secure and accessible.

Lots of ideas! I now have to find the time to develop them and persuade my fellow councillors to take action on a number of fronts.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Treasured Mayoral Days!