Monday 25 September 2017

#MoreInCommon - my journey through the libraries of my life begins

I placed a bet on on how many seats the Conservative Party would win in the June general election. And I won! £140 plus my stake back. And I then pondered on what to do with the money... 

I decided I would buy 11 copies of the book about Jo Cox, the MP who was murdered by a right wing terrorist just before the EU referendum last year. My plan was then to donate some of these books to libraries I have known in my life. The purpose of doing this is to support the movement that has emerged out of her death to affirm that we all always have #MoreInCommon than anything that divides us. The book, written by her grieving widower, Brendan Cox, describes the story of her life and her death, and her love of the world's people. It is a very sad but ultimately very uplifting book that I commend to you.

And so my journey around the libraries of my life began on Thursday 6 July at my old school Purbrook Park School. I was honoured to meet the Headteacher and Deputy Head, Paul Foxley and Emma Bolton respectively. And of course, I gave my first copy to Kelly Morrison, the school Librarian. Three school students (Jamie Murdoch, Year 9, Charlie Carruthers, Year 9 and Hannah Vassie, Year 8) and Kelly showed me round my old school (which has changed lots and not at all in some places).




It was a good place to start and it got me thinking: what did I learn 40+ years ago while at school that I still carry with me... More of this another time.

Meanwhile, here is the inscription I placed in the book.


The betting slip!


The books arrived a few days later...


1 comment:

Treasured Mayoral Days!