Saturday 14 October 2017

Democracy in our Schools

As part of 'local democracy week' the Town Council worked with the Royal Latin School and the Buckingham School to convene a meeting of school students on the afternoon of Friday. And what a great event it was!!


As you can see there were many students from both schools who were joined by Cllrs Lisa O'Donoghue and Robin Stuchbury, PC Chris Stockings, TC events officer Amanda Brubaker and myself. I chaired the meeting, as I would a Town Council meeting, and we worked through the agenda created by both schools. It was a long agenda and we ran out of time (we had just less than one hour). Here is my copy of the agenda with notes I added during the meeting.


And what a fantastic debate it was! There were challenges, ideas, commentary and discussion on the whole range of topics. I know that I left with a number of actions to follow up as did I hope did the students themselves. There will be minutes and I will upload a copy when I get them.

Meanwhile, residents of Buckingham can rest assured that with young people like this, there is a great future for democracy in our town!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Treasured Mayoral Days!