Saturday 14 October 2017

Opportunities for Buckingham folk

I had a glorious visit to the Buckingham Opportunities Centre yesterday morning. My guides were Jeanette (one of the team of support workers) and Ryan (one of the users of the Centre). Here is a picture of Ryan enjoying the wonderful riverside garden at the Centre. What a lovely spot this is.


(By the way, did you know the Centre can be hired at weekends for parties and family get-togethers? Lots of facilities including a large hall and several meeting rooms. If you are interested, please contact them: 01280 815400)

My tour then took me to the kitchen where I met award winning chef Martin who talked me through the week's menus. Indeed, not many people know, is that anyone can sample one of these meals for the princely some of £5. They looked pretty sumptuous to me! Just give them a call to arrange.

We then went on the meet Louise who is the new operations manager for this part of Bucks County Council Adult & Social Care and she told me about the patch she looks after. (It's quite big!) Then I popped into to say hallo to a group of older people which included Winnie who is aged 101! (She is on the right of the picture) And sitting next to Winnie is Ann who has been volunteering with these services since 1979! Here they all are.


I was told by Sarah (Senior Support worker) that the Centre caters for around 50+ people a week with a team of 16 staff and 4 volunteers. I did not get to meet Jo Fisher who is the manager as she was on holiday. 

But I did meet John (another support worker) who carefully took me through the programme of activities for the people with learning and other complex disabilities. Such a diverse programme which Emily (one of the other clients I chatted me) told me that she enjoyed, especially the craft work. I was able to link them to the Buckingham Rocks project so watch out for some new rocks arriving soon!

Overall, as I was leaving I asked Sarah and Jeanette what the place is all about... They told me it is about, quite simply, providing company and support to a whole range of people. And what delights them is when they go out with the users to visit the town, all they meet at welcomes and smiles from passersby and all the shops they visit. They wanted me to make a special mention of the Meadow Row tea shop who are especially welcoming and Alan at the Woolpack who works closely with them on a whole range of projects. Pam and the Library staff and fantastic too, I understand. But really it is everyone and all the shops! 

Buckingham feels like one big family to the clients and staff of the Buckingham Opportunities Centre! (I am so glad that the County Council is continuing to fund this service: long may that continue!)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Treasured Mayoral Days!