Wednesday 13 June 2018

Enterprising Buckingham #2

It's one of those mornings when I wake up early and my head won't let me go to back to sleep. This morning it is because I have been thinking about next year's Enterprise Festival (#EntFest) and what role the Town could play in that. Professor Nigel Adams (Head of Enterprise and Entrepreneurship at the University of Buckingham) has said that he is hopeful that it will happen here again. So (hoping it does too...) I just think that the event provides a golden opportunity to showcase and support entrepreneurial talent in the Town too. Do you fancy getting involved...?

So if we want to make it a whole town festival, what could happen? Here are a few ideas that I have invented in my head this morning - some or none of which could become a reality... How about:
  • B-Cubed - Buckingham Business Backstage! (Local businesses, large or small, to have open days to show local people the beating hearts of their enterprises. What actually happens in Wipac? What do all the inks in BCQ smell like? How big and cold is the warehouse in Tesco? Etc!)
  • Young Enterprise Breakfast/Tea (a chance for the school students of the RLS and Buckingham School to meet and network with local entrepreneurs and small business owners to find out about the ups and downs of running your own business)
  • New and young trader of the year award (The Buckingham Society already award the Trader, Favourite Eating Place and Market Trader of the Year at the Christmas switch on. Let's keep that but how about a summer award for best new business established in the last 18 months, and/or maybe one for a new business where the owner is under 30...? Perhaps another award for most enterprising local charity?)
  • #LoveBuckingham / #ShopLocal day (Perhaps with special discounts on the day from the local retailers?)
  • BB2B Trade Show (A while ago there was an idea to bring together local small enterprises to see how they could do business together. I think I recall Ian Redding of Buckingham Ford offering to make his showroom available for such an event... Might something like this be possible?)

I am sure there would be many more ideas that would complement the festival that is now hopefully part of the University calendar. And none of the above might fly either - I am well aware of that! I am just trying to provoke action... (And they don't all have to happen on the same day but thereabouts perhaps)

One thing I do know is that any of this will only happen if some of the leaders of local enterprise step forward to make this happen. Could that be you? Would you be willing to be part of a small coordinating committee to nurture some Town #EntFest ideas into reality? I (and I hope the Town Council) would support this. But it will only happen if local business people make it happen?

As was being talked about yesterday by the Vice Chancellor and Peter Jones - could Buckingham become known the 'Glastonbury' of enterprise? Would you like to be part of that dream...? 

If you would, please email me (jonsharvey@ymail.com) and I will help people connect...


No comments:

Post a Comment

Treasured Mayoral Days!