Monday 13 November 2017

Why Remembrance is so important

There is a very famous quote by George Santayana:
 Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it
And this is why Remembrance, for me, is so important. It is the time when I feel great sadness and grief for all the people, combatants and non-combatants, who have died, suffered and are still suffering as a consequence of war and armed conflict. It is a time when my resolve is renewed to work for a peaceful world, full of love and respect for all, where conflict and disputes are settled in ways that lead to no harm.

Let us all never forget the horrors of war, wherever, whenever and for whomever they occur.

And so, it was both my solemn duty and honour to be part of the Remembrance Parade on Sunday, organised and led by the Royal British Legion. And I was humbled to lay the wreath on behalf of the Town Council at the memorial. This is what I wrote on the wreath:
This wreath has been laid by the Town Mayor, Jon Harvey, on 12 November 2017 as an act of Remembrance for all Buckingham townsfolk who have died, been injured or damaged as a consequence of war. As we must never forget their sacrifices and pain, so we must continue to work for a world based on peace and love for all. 
I took no photographs, but here is one taken by Cllr Robin Stuchbury of myself, Julie, the Town Clerk, Chris Wayman and the Town Council Mace Bearer, Barbara Farmer as we stood next to the Memorial by the Church.


UPDATE: I was up at the church today, so I photographed the Memorial with all the wreaths.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Treasured Mayoral Days!